Thursday, July 21, 2011

Growing Up Woman



Just watched this and it is awesome. I find myself falling into this pit. My first job out of college saw me working extremely hard to gain my voice and I managed to do so quite well in the two years I was there. I was respected and valued as a member of a team that was doing something to change the world. Sure it was thankless at times and there were many a day that I wanted to shout from the rooftops but I was seen.

Then came the job of my young dreams. Writing and outreach for a wildlife conservation non-profit, wow. I didn't care that I was making next to nothing-- this was the start of something amazing. And I started sitting at the table. I had earned this, I was going to be seen. But slowly I began to along the walls creeping deeper and deeper into my shell. I was given work and did as I was told and was in response wholly miserable. I watched myself become someone I was not and it was mind-blowing. I was not introverted. I was not quiet. I let my voice be heard. I was someone to listen to and came to the table with experience. And in the end, when I stood up for something, I was put in my place. Antiquated ideologies won out and I was neutered. Embarassed and heartily discouraged at the lack of progressive thinking, I bailed. I cried, I struggled and I yelled and I beat myself up for quite a long time. This was supposed to be it!

And now I find myself in a particularly fateful place. With little power and not much acknowledgement of my abilities I am happier than ever. Sure I would like more power but at the same time, I am helping people around the world work towards their future. And at the same time I am going back to school. Education is about to get a boost in enrollment because the way I see it, your Bachelor's degree is about as useful as your High School diploma at this point. Those moving up in the world need Masters and there can be no more kicking around the idea. It has to become a reality. There is no way that I am going to allow myself to be that girl sitting on the sideline any more. I am a player. I am a leader. And it is time, as a woman of the next generation, to get in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment